13th September 2007
- Carsharing facility added to 'Meet & Do'
- New Meet & Do home page - shows at a glance the interests of people nearby
10th August 2007
- Improved front page with clearer guest browsing
- New marketplace home page (click the market heading to access)
- New wanted section in the market - either advertise to buy, or to borrow/hire
- New category of market item: hire or lend - lets people advertise items that they're happy to hire out for
money, or to lend to neighbours for free
- New option to let the author of an article choose whether to publicise the article on the forum
- Business categories extended to catch all categories searched for but not present previously
- Meet & Do categories extended to catch all categories searched for but not present previously
- 'Find a shop or service' (under businesses) now lets you search either by category or by company name
- New events home page (click the events heading to access) - shows an at a glance summary of events nearby with lists and map display
- New groups home page (click the groups heading to access) - shows an at a glance summary of groups nearby with lists and map display
1st August 2007
- Place chooser now allows you to look for a place by name
- Place chooser displays the context of place names (e.g. SW19)
29th May 2007
- Apple Safari Browser now supported
- Improved navigation between places, and from groups to places and back
- Improved home page information for each place - summary of content nearby with quick links to most information
- Improved home page information for each place - toggle between a list of recent items, and items shown since the last login
23rd April 2007
- Discussion Watching: You can now be notified via email if someone adds a message to a discussion you're interested in.
- Regular updates: You can now choose to receive either a daily or weekly digest which is sent if something new has been added that day or week.
- Market alerts: You can now choose to receive an email to let you know if someone is interested or bids for an item you're selling on the market
- Message alerts: If someone sends you a private areyoulocal message, you can choose to be notified via email
- Quick place URL - if you type www.areyoulocal.co.uk/[place name] - then you'll be taken directly to Areyoulocal's view of that place. (e.g. areyoulocal.co.uk/wimbledon)
- Style change to the folding sidebar lists (easier to see that you can fold/unfold now)
- Group and business newsletters: there is now just one newsletter per group or business - any moderator of a particular group or business edits this one newsletter.
- For groups and businesses, by default when you click the 'articles' heading, it will show the group's or business's newsletter if there is one. If not, it'll just show articles which are relevant to the group or business.
13th March 2007
- Business registration has changed. Now, you simply become a member, then you can add as many businesses as you like once logged in.
- QuickGroup: If you have a group on Areyoulocal, you can define a code which, if someone enters when they register with areyoulocal, will automatically add them to your group as a member.
- Business categories have been improved
- The business browser now shows how many businesses are listed under each subcategory
- Local printed business directories can now be recommended in specific areas to people who have registered a business.
- The 'Articles' view for Groups and Businesses no longer features articles from nearby places; instead it just features newsletters and articles for the group or business.
- The article editor 'Editorial' Tab is now the 'Publish' Tab.
3rd March 2007
- Newsletters now allow you to name and switch between editions
- You can add a logo to your newsletters
- When you click the 'Articles' heading or choose 'Read Articles' from the Articles menu, a new presentation
of nearby newsletters and articles is shown, replacing 'Auto Newsletters'. Features include:
- A list of newsletters for the current place/group/business
- A list of the most recent articles for the current place/group/business
- Lists showing nearby newsletters and articles for nearby neighbourhoods, groups and businesses
- If you're viewing articles and newsletters for a street or building, then newsletters and
articles belonging to streets just around the corner are also displayed
The aim of these changes is to make it easier to see articles which are nearby, even if you don't
have the places/groups or businesses bookmarked.
- Pages now have useful titles, so browser window titles and bookmarks are properly labelled
23rd January 2007
- If you click on the last updated date for a forum topic, it takes you to the most recent page of messages
- If viewing a forum for a place which the user doesn't have bookmarked, an option appears asking if they want to add a bookmark
- 'Other forums' search facility added to the forum menu
- 'What's new' summary in the members' home page added
- 'Invite a friend or neighbour' feature added
- Picture crop tool now allows selection of an area which extends beyond a picture edge
17th January 2007
- Businesses can now register from anywhere in the country
- Improved layout of the 'Browse Categories' panel in 'Find shops or services'
- Banner advert serving now operational for businesses anywhere
- Banner advert changes apply immediately when viewing a business, overnight for other local places
12th January 2007
- Residents can now register from anywhere in the country (*business registrations are still restricted to SW19,SW20, AL postcodes until the next release (a week or so)
- New neighbourhoods, streets, buildings ('places') can be added by users
- Added sections to the Business chapter of the user guide
30th December 2006
- Improved company information
- New front page with introductory guided tour for residents, groups and business
- 'I want to' - quick guide on the member home
- New events and articles are announced on a relevant forum automatically
- Business and Meet & Do searches no longer broken if a space is at the start
16th December 2006
- Articles can now be associated with a specific date (e.g. reporting an event on a particular date)
- Articles can now be instructed to expire after a specific date (e.g. an article covering a forthcoming event is no longer relevant after the event)
- A list of recent articles for a group or business can now be incorporated into that group or businesses's own website, matching the style of the site
- An event calendar for a group or business can now be incorporated into that group or businesses's own website, matching the style of the site
- Events which have passed no longer show up in the browse events lists
- Group and business shortcuts are no longer case sensitive: www.areyoulocal.co.uk/[shortcut] can be typed in without worrying about case now.
4th December 2006
- Users can now complain about and block offensive content
- Users now earn 'trust points' - the more trust points, the greater the say
- Navigation back to the user's home page is clearer
- Passwords can now be changed
30th October 2006
- First user testing version
12th October 2006
- Pre-launch demonstration version